Skip to main content

Monday 11/29/2010

Getting my hearing aids on my 4 month birthday with my favorite audiologists!
Last week sure was a busy one!

SundayOur church voted in our new pastor - Pastor Tracy will begin in January (this will let his kids finish the semester at their current school, get their house on the market and find a house here). The whole church is very excited!

Sunday night was our annual church Thanksgiving meal. The food was wonderful and we always enjoy spending time with our church family.

Monday
Ethan had his 4 month pictures taken at JC Penney's. He sure didn't want to cooperate, and we only got one good smile out of him. :)

Tuesday - Ethan's First Day with Hearing Aids
Jeff took of work and headed to Springfield with us to the audiologist. Ethan's audiologists, Brittany and Anna, are wonderful - see picture :). They are so good with our little guy.

Ethan didn't like it when Anna first put his hearing aids in, but once they were in he didn't seem to mind. Jeff and I were shown how to care for the hearing aids, the proper way to insert/take out and given tons of information to read about ways to help Ethan with his hearing aids/hearing loss.

We struggled at first to get them in and out - Anna had us try several times at the office so that we would feel more comfortable, but it is getting easier.

Wednesday
Ethan and I stayed home today - it was really nasty outside! Our friend Sarah B. came to visit, which was wonderful. A guy with our insurance also came to look at the damage to the car (on Saturday night on our way to church we hit a deer.)

Thursday
We spent Thanksgiving Day with Jeff's family at his mom and dad's house. It was great to spend time with everyone - especially his family that came in from Florida!

Friday and Saturday
Friday we drove to my mom and dad's house to spend some time with my family. It was so great to see my grandparents and parents and siblings and some of my cousins. We ate way to much and on Saturday spent the day relaxing before heading back to Decatur.

SundayAfter church we had lunch with Jeff's parents and sister and spent some time visiting before going home. It is a real blessing to go to church with family.

Misc. things about the week
Ethan laughed for the first time this week! Jeff heard it first, then I did. Last night we really got him laughing and caught it with the video camera! :)

Overall, Ethan has seemed to adjust to the hearing aids well. He doesn't pull at them, although I'm sure we'll go through that phase at some point. We were also VERY blessed because a state program is going to cover ALL of the initial costs of Ethan's hearing aids! Praise GOD!!!! We had been praying that Ethan would qualify - this is a real answer to prayer!

Ethan didn't have a good week when it came to eating - he never does very well when we are away from home, and we did a lot of traveling this week. Hopefully, since we won't be going many places this week he'll pick back up.

Prayer Concerns/Requests
-Pray that as we are approaching Christmas that those who have lost loved ones will look to Christ for healing, comfort and strength.

-Pray that Ethan and all the other kids with PBDs will remain healthy during the winter and have good appetites (feeding is often a major concern for our kids).

-Pray for strength and wisdom for Jeff and I as we learn how to be the best parents we can be for Ethan.

-Pray that we will always see our kids how Jesus sees them (and help others to see this too)!

"For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth."
~ Psalm 139:13-15

-Pray that even when times get tough we will never forget to..

"Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever." ~ 1 Chronicles 16:34

BECAUSE

"He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
~ 1 Thessalonians 5:10-11

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"God Chooses Mom for Disabled Child" by Erma Bombeck

I don't think this is exactly how it works, but I had to share anyway. I believe with all my heart that God does not make mistakes, and although I will fully admit that it hurts my heart that any child is born (or develops) disabilities and/or life threatening illness, I know that God is sovereign and that He has a divine plan (even when we don't understand it!). I believe that God brought Jeff and I together and that He knew Ethan even as he was growing inside of me. While this is not the journey we would have dreamed of or chosen, and there are going to be times (and have been already) when we struggle, stumble and fall  it is our hope that in the end that we will bring glory and honor to the Lord.  God Chooses Mom for Disabled Child Written by Erma Bombeck Published in the Today Newspaper Sept. 4th, 1993 Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social pressures, and a couple by habit. This year, nearly 100,000 women will become mother

Faces of Peroxisomal Biogenesis Disorders

This Saturday we are hosting the first annual Pancakes for PBD benefit.  All the proceeds will go to the Global Foundation for Peroxisomal Disorders to help offset the costs for our family and others like us to attend this summer's 2012 Family Support Conference in Orlando, FL.  We hope that this will become an annual tradition and allow us to help raise awareness and money for peroxisomal biogenesis disorders. Here are just a few of the faces of PBD. 

So much and so little to write about...

When I started this blog I don't think that I could have imagined a time would come in which months would go by without me writing. However, that is what has happened. So much has changed over the last almost eight years since Ethan's birth and subsequent diagnosis with PBD-ZSD, yet at the same time so much hasn't. Unlike parents of typically developing children we find ourselves still parenting a child with complex medical needs who's developmental skills range anywhere from 9 to 18 months. Ethan still has PBD-ZSD, and right now his uncontrollable seizures are a major issue. We still fight PBD-ZSD the best we can each day with a basket full of medications and supplements and other medical interventions (feeding tube, cochlear implant, AFOs, etc), numerous therapies, school (which Ethan loves), and prayer. We advocate for him and all children and families impacted by PBD-ZSD and related peroxisomal disorders through our involvement in the Global Foundation for Perox