Skip to main content

An Amazing Sisterhood - 100 years of Alpha Chi Omega at Millikin University

I graduated from Millikin University in 2004. During my college years I was involved in a number of different organizations and was also proud member of the Big Blue Cross Country and Track teams. During my freshman year at Millikin I decided that I wanted to become involved in Millikin's Greek Life and in the Spring of 2001, I became an initiated member of Alpha Chi Omega. Most people who know me know that I am, and have always been, far from the sorority stereotype portrayed on television or in the movies, but a sorority girl I am.

The women that I met during my four years as a collegiate member of Alpha Chi Omega came from different backgrounds and life experiences, and I am proud to say that very few fit into the sorority stereotype -- they were so much more! Although I was involved in sports and several other organizations on campus, I lived with these women and they truly became my family. While I will admit that as the years have passed I have not remained as close to many of these amazing women as I wish I had, we will always a special bond.   

This past weekend was Millikin's Homecoming. 2013 also marks 100 years of Alpha Chi Omega on Millikin's campus, so there were several special Alpha Chi Omega events during the Homecoming weekend. Saturday evening Jeff accompanied me to our chapter's Centennial Celebration Banquet. Shortly after we arrived I was introduce to a fellow Alpha Chi Omega sister, Mary C. I have spoken with Mary a number of times online through our alum network, but this was the first time I had met her face to face. Mary lives in Florida and became an Alpha Chi Omega in the 1960s. Although I had not met Mary in person before Saturday evening I already knew that she was an amazing women. Over the last couple of years she has become a huge champion for Ethan and has been following our family's PBD-ZSD journey.  

After being introduce to Mary and a fellow Alpha Chi Omega sister from her "era" and a round of hugs Mary handed me an envelope. I planned on opening it later, but she encouraged me to go ahead and open it. Inside I found a handmade card. On the outside it read "Alpha Chi Omega." On the inside was the following message:
True to the promises invoked in our Alpha Chi Omega Symphony...
We the Upsilon Initiates of 1962 - 1967 herby send forth the chords of
Love, Unselfishness, Sincerity on behalf of
The Global Foundation for Peroxisomal Disorders
 
May the children and families representing the Foundation accept this gift, continuing to exemplify the attributes of courage, strength, love, hope and friendship as set forth by the women of Alpha Chi Omega of every generation.
 
With Support and Hope,
Alpha Chi Omega Alumnae
Initiation Classes 1962-1967

Enclosed was a $500 check made out to GFPD in honor of Ethan!

I was so completely blown away and I literally burst into tears! The generosity of women who had never met me or Ethan yet have fallen in love with him and wanted to show their support of my GFPD family left me in awe. Even now it seems a bit unreal. My Alpha Chi Omega sisters are truly amazing women and the very special bond we share is one that bridges the many generations that are united through this amazing sisterhood. 
 
After I pulled myself together we had a wonderful evening, visiting with friends that I haven't seen in years and wishing that many who weren't able to make it where there with us. It was a wonderful evening and I consider myself blessed to be an Alpha Chi Omega.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"God Chooses Mom for Disabled Child" by Erma Bombeck

I don't think this is exactly how it works, but I had to share anyway. I believe with all my heart that God does not make mistakes, and although I will fully admit that it hurts my heart that any child is born (or develops) disabilities and/or life threatening illness, I know that God is sovereign and that He has a divine plan (even when we don't understand it!). I believe that God brought Jeff and I together and that He knew Ethan even as he was growing inside of me. While this is not the journey we would have dreamed of or chosen, and there are going to be times (and have been already) when we struggle, stumble and fall  it is our hope that in the end that we will bring glory and honor to the Lord.  God Chooses Mom for Disabled Child Written by Erma Bombeck Published in the Today Newspaper Sept. 4th, 1993 Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social pressures, and a couple by habit. This year, nearly 100,000 women will become mother

Faces of Peroxisomal Biogenesis Disorders

This Saturday we are hosting the first annual Pancakes for PBD benefit.  All the proceeds will go to the Global Foundation for Peroxisomal Disorders to help offset the costs for our family and others like us to attend this summer's 2012 Family Support Conference in Orlando, FL.  We hope that this will become an annual tradition and allow us to help raise awareness and money for peroxisomal biogenesis disorders. Here are just a few of the faces of PBD. 

So much and so little to write about...

When I started this blog I don't think that I could have imagined a time would come in which months would go by without me writing. However, that is what has happened. So much has changed over the last almost eight years since Ethan's birth and subsequent diagnosis with PBD-ZSD, yet at the same time so much hasn't. Unlike parents of typically developing children we find ourselves still parenting a child with complex medical needs who's developmental skills range anywhere from 9 to 18 months. Ethan still has PBD-ZSD, and right now his uncontrollable seizures are a major issue. We still fight PBD-ZSD the best we can each day with a basket full of medications and supplements and other medical interventions (feeding tube, cochlear implant, AFOs, etc), numerous therapies, school (which Ethan loves), and prayer. We advocate for him and all children and families impacted by PBD-ZSD and related peroxisomal disorders through our involvement in the Global Foundation for Perox