Skip to main content

POSITIVE.... for STREP

Ethan woke up on Friday morning with temperature of 102, but I was able to get it down and keep it down throughout the day with Tylenol and ibuprofen. Later during the day I found out that one of his little friends from STEPS was sick -- throwing up A LOT --- and I got worried, thinking that it would just be a matter of time before the puking started at our house. However, it never came.

Yesterday morning Ethan woke up again with a temperature (101.8) and once again we treated it throughout the day with Tylenol and ibuprofen. He was a bit more quiet than usual and wouldn't drink or eat great (but that isn't very unusual for our little man) and he still has his cough and all the boogies (possibly from aspirating small amounts of fluid into his lungs -- which is why he is going to be getting a feeding tube) but since he didn't seem to be getting worse and we were able to manage the temp we thought it was going to be okay. Ethan is also working on two teeth --- both molars. He only has 6 teeth in and these new ones are coming in out of order!

This morning when Ethan woke up with a temp of 102.4 after sleeping over 12 hours, we knew it was time to call the doctor. After a dose of Tylenol, a cool shower, a bit of formula, an hour later it had gone down to 101.4 and we gave him some ibuprofen and called the doctor. We love our local doctor and all of his staff. We spoke with the doctor on call and she agreed to meet with us this afternoon at the office (this wasn't our first Sunday office visit :))! She saw us and took a good look at the little guy and he had spots at the back of his throat, so she tested for strep. It was positive! Yuck to strep, but we were glad to learn that it is something we can treat!

Ethan now has a dose of antibiotics in him and we are hoping that within 24 to 48 hours he'll have this strep kicked. We are doing our best to push fluids, although it is rather difficult. He's getting lots of applesauce and tiny pieces of mandarin oranges. Although I am still very nervous about Ethan having the surgery and feeding tube in the near future (we still don't have a surgery date) it becomes very clear in situations like this that we need a way to supplement Ethan's fluids.

Your thoughts and prayers are greatly appreciated. It has been a tough end of the week. Another little one with PBD-ZSD is now with Jesus, leaving her family's arms empty. I hate this stupid disease. So many kids are fighting so hard and many have been called home already this year, it just sucks. Being a Christian, and understanding that God is always good, even when things seem so bleak is sometimes tough and I don't pretend not to be upset and/or still cry out "why" from time to time, when it just seems like it is just "one more thing" but I will NOT let this disease steal my faith. I know that God is LOVE and that although I don't deserve it and that I fall short every single day in so many ways that God loves me, he loves Jeff, and he loves Ethan even more than we do. He has a plan for us. He is working in the midst of all this and I do believe that in the end God will be glorified and that lives will be changed for the better because of our little boy. I hope that you will join us in prayer for miracles, for treatments and a cure to be developed, for the world to be changed for the better, and ultimately for people to come to know the Lord. It is times like this that I must remind myself to shift my focus from "why?" to "How will I glorify?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"God Chooses Mom for Disabled Child" by Erma Bombeck

I don't think this is exactly how it works, but I had to share anyway. I believe with all my heart that God does not make mistakes, and although I will fully admit that it hurts my heart that any child is born (or develops) disabilities and/or life threatening illness, I know that God is sovereign and that He has a divine plan (even when we don't understand it!). I believe that God brought Jeff and I together and that He knew Ethan even as he was growing inside of me. While this is not the journey we would have dreamed of or chosen, and there are going to be times (and have been already) when we struggle, stumble and fall  it is our hope that in the end that we will bring glory and honor to the Lord.  God Chooses Mom for Disabled Child Written by Erma Bombeck Published in the Today Newspaper Sept. 4th, 1993 Most women become mothers by accident, some by choice, a few by social pressures, and a couple by habit. This year, nearly 100,000 women will become mother

Faces of Peroxisomal Biogenesis Disorders

This Saturday we are hosting the first annual Pancakes for PBD benefit.  All the proceeds will go to the Global Foundation for Peroxisomal Disorders to help offset the costs for our family and others like us to attend this summer's 2012 Family Support Conference in Orlando, FL.  We hope that this will become an annual tradition and allow us to help raise awareness and money for peroxisomal biogenesis disorders. Here are just a few of the faces of PBD. 

So much and so little to write about...

When I started this blog I don't think that I could have imagined a time would come in which months would go by without me writing. However, that is what has happened. So much has changed over the last almost eight years since Ethan's birth and subsequent diagnosis with PBD-ZSD, yet at the same time so much hasn't. Unlike parents of typically developing children we find ourselves still parenting a child with complex medical needs who's developmental skills range anywhere from 9 to 18 months. Ethan still has PBD-ZSD, and right now his uncontrollable seizures are a major issue. We still fight PBD-ZSD the best we can each day with a basket full of medications and supplements and other medical interventions (feeding tube, cochlear implant, AFOs, etc), numerous therapies, school (which Ethan loves), and prayer. We advocate for him and all children and families impacted by PBD-ZSD and related peroxisomal disorders through our involvement in the Global Foundation for Perox